Art. 1 | Name
The Protected Geographical Indication “Bresaola della Valtellina” is reserved for the delicatessen product that meets the conditions and requirements set forth in this specification.
indication the “Bresaola of the Valtellina”.
Art. 1 | Name
Art. 2 | Production area
The “Bresaola della Valtellina” is processed in the traditional production area which includes the entire territory of the province of Sondrio.
Art. 3 | Raw material
The “Bresaola della Valtellina” is produced exclusively from meat obtained from the thighs of cattle age between 18 months and four years. The masses of the thigh muscle of cattle, deprived of bones, from which we get the bresaola, are as follows:
1. rump, which corresponds to the posteromedial portion of the thigh muscles and includes the internal rectus muscle, the adductor, and semimembranosus muscle;
2. tip of the hip, which corresponds to the topside of the private adductor muscle;
3. sottofesa, which corresponds to the posterolateral portion of the thigh muscles, namely the muscle along broad;
4. topside, which corresponds to the posterolateral portion of the thigh muscles, namely the semitendinosus muscle;
5. sottosso, which corresponds to the front of the thigh and is composed of the rectus muscle and the vastus medialis muscle and intermediate.
Art. 4 | A metod of processing
The muscles used for production are appropriately trimmed by removal of external fat and parts external tendon taking care not to cut, because they form entirely and individually, the pieces to be salted and dried. Salting is carried out by a method known as “dry.” Beef are added sodium chloride and / or spices and / or aromatic plants and / or natural flavoring. They can also be used wine, sugar and / or dextrose and / or fructose, sodium nitrate and / or potassium, sodium nitrite and / or potassium, in doses up to 195 ppm introduced which limit the amount absorbed or otherwise, ascorbic acid and / or its sodium salt. The salt solution is formed with the juice of the meat. Salting a total duration of 10-15 days depending on the average piece weight. The bagging is done by placing each piece in natural casing. It ‘also allowed the use of any artificial gut. The drying is the average duration of one week and should hear by rapid dehydration in the first days of treatment.
Art. 5 | Seasoning
Curing must be done in ideal weather conditions to allow a slow and gradual reduction of humidity. Is conducted in specially air-conditioned which is ensured optimum air circulation, at an average temperature between 12 and 18 ° C. The curing time, which includes drying time ranges from 4 to 8 weeks depending on the size of the product and market requirements. For products sold in bulk, no vacuum, the curing time can be reduced to 3 weeks. Both for drying and for the aging can not be adopted techniques that provide for an accelerated dehydration. And ‘allowed ventilation and natural light exposure to moisture of the climate in the area of production.
Art. 6 | Features
The “Bresaola della Valtellina” at the time of entry for consumption must have the following organoleptic, chemical and physico-chemical and product:
Characteristics: consistency: the product must have a firm consistency, elastic appearance on slicing: compact and absent from cracks; color: red uniform with dark edge just mentioned for the lean, white for the fat part; Perfume: delicate and slightly aromatic taste pleasant, moderately tasty, never sour.
Chemical and chemical-physical:
• t.q. humidity:
• Bresaola peak hip packaged in bulk: moisture max 63%;
• Bresaola leading vacuum-packed hip: moisture max 62%;
• of vacuum-packed dried beef topside: moisture max 60%;
• Pre-sliced and dried beef packaged under vacuum or modified atmosphere: 60% max.
• for all other types of cutting and / or packaging: 65% max.
• Fat: 7% max;
• ash: 4% min;
• sodium chloride up to 5%;
• Pre-sliced and dried beef packaged under vacuum or modified atmosphere: 33% min.
• for all other types of packaging: 30% min.
The “Bresaola della Valtellina” looks vaguely cylindrical in shape, although in some cases for specific needs, the cuts may be taking the form of pressed brick. The minimum weight of the “Valtellina Bresaola” is as follows: dried beef rump:
• not less than 3.500 kg;
• Bresaola top of the hip:
• for the market in whole or in pieces: not less than 2.500 kg;
• intended for pre-packaging for slicing vacuum or protective atmosphere: not less than 2.00 kg;
• bresaola sottofesa: not less than 1.800 kg;
• bresaola topside: not less than 1.000 kg;
• bresaola sottosso: not less than 0.800 kg.
Art. 7 | Controls
Without prejudice to the responsibilities assigned by law to the official veterinarian (USL) of the plant, which under Chapter IV “production control” of the legislative decree of December 30, 1992, No 537, and ensures, through proper inspection, check that the products of meat production meet the criteria established by the manufacturer and, in particular, the composition actually corresponds to the entries that will be allocated according to the label, especially if which is the commercial name used in Chapter V, Section 4 of the aforementioned legislative decree (the trading name followed by a reference to rules or national legislation which authorizes it), watch for the application of this product specification is conducted by the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Forestry who may avail himself for the purpose of supervising the production and trade of “Bresaola of the Valtellina” a consortium of producers in accordance with the provisions of Art. 10 of Regulation No 2081 of July 14, 1992.
Art. 8 | Designation and presentation
Bresaola of Valtellina should bring the following information on the label: – “Bresaola della Valtellina”, which is untranslatable, and the label must be affixed in clear, indelible, clearly distinguishable from each other and be written in block letters immediately followed the same size, the initials and the PGI symbol EU, which must be produced in the language in which the product is marketed, in the form permitted by the EC;
It is prohibited to add any description that is not expressly provided for. And ‘however, allowed the use of claims referring to names or company names or trademarks, unless they have private praise of such significance as to mislead the buyer. The “Bresaola della Valtellina” can be sold whole, in bulk or in a vacuum, in pieces, in pieces or sliced vacuum packaged or modified atmosphere. The slicing and packaging operations slicing must be under the supervision of the inspection specified in art. 7, the mind exclusively in the production area specified in art. 2.